Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fabric Options

I am pretty excited about the fabrics I have found for my collection from my stash that I brought home from school as well as from my mom's awesome stash (more like mountains) of fabric in her sewing room! I found the neutral colors that i was looking for as well as a pop of sheer turquoise. All the fabrics are unique and I was able to find some interesting textures and techniques that I think will make the look and feel of my collection richer and warmer. So without further adieu here they are!

From Left to Right: Sheer turquoise, shearling, white wool, dot-textured woven, corduroy, wool blend suiting, suede-like mid-weight, brown textured knit, brown suiting, black peach skin, black spandex mix

At first glance its a lot of fabrics I know, but when I start designing a look, or a collection for that matter, I always gather more fabric choices than I know I will ultimately end up using. This way, when it comes time to pick out the final fabrics for each garment I have extra that I know will work with my vision just incase I change my mind. I wanted to include a mix of knit and woven fabrics, as well as different weights of fabrics in my selection. Ultimately they will add depth and well as interest in the line. I also wanted to make sure that they are fully functional so I chose fabrics that would allow movement and would provide warmth to the person wearing the garments (since the collection was designed for a colder climate and season).

Now that I have the fabrics selected, I will be staring at my computer for days creating the technical flat sketches for each garment in every look. It sounds tedious, and often times it is, but I find that when I create these flat sketches before I sew that they often help with the pattern making and draping process. Ill have those posted in a few days so make sure to check back :)!

xoxo Hillary C.

2 comments:

  1. I love this palette! And the dot-textured woven. So excited to see all your pieces at the end! (And getting really pumped for my turn to do this over the summer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was pretty pumped I managed to have all the fabrics that I needed and more in mine and my mothers fabric stashes! I'm really excited about how everything is turning out! I cant wait to see how yours goes over the summer as well!

    ReplyDelete