Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Knitwear Final Project!

Hey everyone! I know that I have been absolutely horrible at posting this quarter but things have been so crazy with school and work! I want to give you all a recap of this quarter and what has been keeping me so busy recently. 

As I posted about earlier, my main studio this quarter was knitwear and it was a ton of work but I feel like I learned so much more than I ever expected to from it. We not only had our final project to work on, but a swatch book full of different knit techniques and a sketchbook with mock project research and final project research and swatching. Here are some pictures from my sketchbook. The mock research and swatching that we had to do was about mushrooms and we had to repeat that research project for our final project as well. 

I took inspiration from desert sand dunes and the patterns and rippling that wind forms in them. I wanted to design a garment that was wearable and showed the contrast of light and shadow as well as the contrast of the smooth areas of sand and the rippled textured areas adjacent to them. I kept my color palette neutral and found this amazingly soft mohair marbled colored yarn to use as the darker color. I instantly fell in love with this color because it had cool blue tones in it as well as beige and sienna browns. I chose to use s fuzzy white wool/acrylic blend as the contrasting bright tone.

I did a ton of sketching and swatching to get to my final design. The look is a all in one dress/shawl combo with a low cut back on the dress and a high-low back on the shawl and is connected through princess seams in the front. I used ruching technique on the main dress that involved picking up floats to add texture that was seen in the ripples of the sand. This technique not only took up a ton of time, but a ton of yarn as well. The look fit my model perfectly and looked better than I could have hoped for.

 With the crazyness of this quarter over I am turning my full attention to my senior thesis collection. Look for a post on that coming in the next week or so! As always, thanks for reading!! 

-xoxo Hillary C.



No comments:

Post a Comment